Saturday, September 13, 2014

You've got a friend in me




"You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me"
(Randy Newman)
"When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me"
 
It's been said, "Friends are like walls. 
Sometimes you lean on them, and sometimes it's good just knowing they are there." 
 
Our friend, Alex, from the Poinciana Branch,
is currently in a rehabilitation home recovering from several strokes, so we took the opportunity to stop by and visit him this week in an attempt to cheer him up.
"You've got troubles and I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me"
As we all know, friends are kisses blown to us by angels...

Since we just happen to be talking about friends, guess what? I got mail! 
To be honest I was just thrilled to receive a package, let alone a BYU Bookstore bag as a memento from Janie all the way from Education Week in Utah, that is until
I opened the bag and found this...
Unto Us a Son is Given", by my favorite artist, Liz Lemon Swindle!
 
To simply be remembered during Education Week would have been more than enough, but to choose to send me the one perfect thing that would cause my mind to be flooded with so many wonderful memories was quite another.
Henry David Thoreau once said, "The language of friendship is not words but meanings." As one who remains speechless at such an outpouring of love may I just add my Amen.
Thank you doesn't begin to express my gratitude.
 
"Some other folks might be
A little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too, maybe
But none of them will ever love you
The way I do it's me and you
Girl, and as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me and that's all that matters"
 
 


A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be!
 The sisters assigned to the Apopka area had a garage door in the condo where they were living that simply would not open. So Super Senior Missionary to the rescue! Elder Busath had it fixed in minutes and now they will be able to park their car and their bikes in the garage.
It was our Preparation Day aka Play Day today and since we had no apartments to open (very unusual) this transfer we decided to join some friends and head up to DeLand
for some pancakes.
 
Native people known as the Mayaca lived in the Deleon Springs Park area for at least 6,000 years.   In the late 1500s, Spanish missions were established in the area.  In the early 1800s, settlers built sugar and cotton plantations that were sacked by Seminole Indians during the Second Seminole War. By the 1880s the springs had become a winter resort, and tourists were promised "a fountain of youth impregnated with a deliciously healthy combination of soda and sulphur."
 The fountain of youth is now just a crumbling rock structure and dry as a bone :( but we have to confess that we check it out (just in case) every time we come up this way.

Friendship isn't a big thing-it's a million little things...
 At The Old Spanish Sugar Mill Restaurant, guests can make their own pancakes at the table and we took full advantage of their delicious buttermilk and buckwheat pancake mixes with our favorite toppings (blueberries, apples, even pecans) along with some of our senior missionary friends.
 
Ponce De Leon Inlet Lighthouse...
Construction began back in 1884, soaring 175 feet tall into the sky, atop a 12 foot deep by 45 foot wide foundation of brick.  The tower tapers in from its 32-foot diameter base to its 12-foot diameter top. The brick walls are eight feet thick at the bottom and two feet thick at the top.  It took one and a quarter million bricks and three years to build.  There are 203 very steep steps to the top and we took every single one of them to get the amazing pictures below.

 



We made it! 
All 203 steps and the reward was an amazing view of the Atlantic ocean and a nice cool breeze on a very hot and humid day.
 Remember Howie in the Hills?
Well we found another of his relatives on our way to the lighthouse  :)

Okay, I admit it. I am spoiled! 
Today we stopped by the Mission Office to take care of some important business and I discovered that I actually got mail, again!  Twice in one week is unheard of, but hey I am not complaining.  Today I received a sweet card from my sister, Shirley, and a little notebook that pretty much sums it up, "There will be no crisis today, my schedule is full."
 
Friends are relatives you make for yourself-Eustache Deschamps-so true!
 

It's been a pleasant "calm before the storm" week, but Monday begins the countdown for the arrival of nineteen new missionaries in less than a week. 
We still have much to do, but wouldn't have it any other way!
 
It an amazing experience to do our part in hastening His work
and we highly recommend it.
 
Thanks for stopping by...see you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment